Thursday, March 19, 2009

Goodnight Sweet Prince...


(Photos courtesy of Footjoy.com)
Two weeks ago today, a massive bomb was dropped on all golf purists around the globe...By now all of us golf apparel nutcases have heard, the Footjoy Classics are gone as we know them. Never again will you smell those handmade in the USA leather soles and think "God, now I know why I've been put on this earth." For those of you who haven't heard, the Footjoy Classics factory in Brockton, MA is closing. Footjoy finally folded to the increasing attractiveness of overseas labor - even for their flagship shoe. The production of Classics, Classics Dry Premieres, Classic Tours and other off the course dress models are immediately halted and many of us are slumped at our desks thinking, "how can I re-finance my house to afford every single model of CDP's before they are swept from the earth forever?"
I remember my first pair of Classics, beautiful pebbled brown leather saddles, creamy white base. That gold "FJ" gleaming. You could see the work in these babies, they screamed 'made by hand,' 'luxury,' 'just for me.' The grip of those leather laces, the spongy gray insoles. No blisters here buddy, save that for the other guys. Perfection...
I've already had my moment and I've cried it out. I'm upset, but the KC lives by the motto that it's okay to look back, but not to stare. So, let's move forward. I mean, presumably, Footjoy will come out with a shoe made in China that looks remarkably like the Classic and while not made with the same amount of love and care, will probably satisfy most golfer's needs. So that's the good news. The bad news is a massive lump of uncertainty and just an overwhelming feeling that something is missing. I look forward to my first pair of Chinese Classics. I do. I look forward to finding "flaws" in the construction for the rest of my days. Footjoy is promising the same kind of customization currently available on the MyJoys for the top-level shoe that replaces the Classic. That's exciting, sure...But ya know, when it all comes down to it...I liked my Classics from Brockton. I liked knowing a man or woman from Massachusetts had nailed those soles to the calf's leather upper with the care that a machine never could. I liked my Classics from the U. S. of A...and you know what Footjoy? So did alot of other people...Talk about a shank...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My first pair as a hand-me-down from my Dad. A sad, sad day.